Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Adventures in Everyday Cooking-StirFry

A lot of people ask me what gluten is and when they hear that I can't have wheat....they ask, well then what do you eat? And my reply? "Everything else!"

But there are small things that one wouldn't necessarily realize are riddled with gluten in the processing. There is a lot of gum on the market that are dipped in a gluten based preservative, vanilla flavorings, and of course: soy sauce.

I love Chinese food and soy sauce is the perfect condiment for that asian, salty flavor. However, it's made with wheat. So since stir fry is a great low cal, fast way to cook lot's of veggies, with meat and brown rice...all things I love to eat, how do I give it that Chinese flavor? With Tamari sauce, soy sauce's wheat free cousin. It's salty and delicious, just like soy sauce. Today's lunch meal was an easy throw together combination that I stirfried. Organic Tamari, brown rice, broccoli slaw and leftover rotisserie chicken breast were my ingredients, thrown into 1 teaspoon of warm olive oil in my pan. I tossed them in without the Tamari, waiting until each was warmed completely before adding the sauce... and the finished product? Delicious Gluten Free Chinese Chicken Stir-Fry. And for more fun, add MaiFun or SaiFun Rice Noodles instead!
(Only about 300 calories)

No comments:

Post a Comment