Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ratatouille

Ratatouille, the Perfect Gluten-Free Side Dish

What is ratatouille and why should gluten free eaters be interested?  More than a cartoon name, this vegetable based dish is a healthy, simple, and delicious option to add to any meal. As a happy meat eater, I am constantly looking for new sides to add to my meals. And to my veggie loving friends, the eggplant and hearty squash make for a great centerpiece for a Vegan meal.

I discovered ratatouille after watching the cartoon, and knew I had to make it as soon as I got home from the theater. It turns out it's the easiest and most versatile vegetable dish. However, it's always about the same basic ingredients. This recipe is more of a general guide to how I start, leaving you plenty of room to be creative.

Most important thing to remember? Use fresh, firm vegetables!

Basic ingredients: Zucchini, Eggplant, Yellow Squash, Onion, Garlic, and Tomatoes/Sauce.
Basic directions: Chop or slice vegetables to any size or shape that you prefer. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil, then add veggies and cook until soft. A pat of butter or margarine will add a delicious flavor at this point. Next add tomatoes and/or sauce, then add spices to your desired flavor. I use basil, oregano, cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt...which gives it an italian flavor. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally and serve alone, over polenta or on the side of your main dish. Have fun!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment