Thursday, November 22, 2012

Makin' Banana Pancakes...


Not long ago I was singing along to Jack Johnson's "Banana Pancakes" and thought, "Would I even like banana pancakes? How do you make them? How do you make them gluten free?" I realized maybe I couldn't benefit from the true-ness of feeling in the Banana Pancakes song without having experienced a banana pancake morning myself. And yet I hadn't bothered to try it. Or so I thought...

When I was in Maui this summer, I ate my favorite breakfast at my favorite breakfast place in the world (Sea House Restaurant) and I sure was super excited that they made my dutch baby pancakes with caramelized pineapples-gluten free! Then while I was looking at my favorite bay (Napili) and eating my favorite breakfast  (Haleakala Pancakes with Eggs and Pineapple Chicken Sausage) I realized the other sweet taste in my mouth was the caramelized bananas that accompanied the pineapples. This breakfast that I had immensely enjoyed was my first version of banana pancakes!

I began to realize I must learn to create this delicious meal for myself and since I already know how to make Gluten Free Bisquick pancakes, I would simply add a few things to make these even better than the box recipe-including adding caramelized bananas. Then I made it more healthy by making my own buttermilk with non-dairy milk and coconut oil. Use my directions, but add your own flair too!

---Signed,
Charlese



Gluten and Dairy Free Banana Buttermilk Pancakes
(makes 8-10 Medium Sized Pancakes)


FIRST: To make buttermilk, take your milk of choice. To 1 cup add 1 Tbs of vinegar (recipes call for white, but I used apple cider vinegar. You choose, but stay away from balsamic and malt versions for taste and gluten content). Stir and allow this mixture to sit for 5 minute before using.










1c Gluten Free Bisquick
1c Non-dairy Buttermilk
2 Tbs Organic Virgin Coconut oil, softy melted (+ 1-2 Tbs for the skillet)
1 large egg (or egg substitute if required)
1 Large banana, thinly sliced 1/8" 



 In a medium bowl, pour Bisquick in first. Then slowly add each wet ingredient while whisking to a smooth consistency.

Heat up the skillet and lightly grease with 1-2tbs coconut oil or non-stick spray as desired to keep from sticking.

Pour your desired size pancake onto the skillet and allow to cook until bubbly. Before flipping, add the slices of banana to the wet side in a circular pattern. Leave space between, do not overlap banana slices. Carefully flip onto the banana side. The top should be a perfectly browned pancake.




When that side is finished cooking, the bananas will be caramelized and the pancakes will be completely cooked. If necessary, flip over and brown longer until desired finish. Do not smash or flatten with your spatula. Serve alone or alongside your breakfast favorites. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment